The combination of CN and Kansas City Southern (KCS) will create the premier railway for the 21st century, connecting ports in the United States, Mexico and Canada to expand North American trade and power economic prosperity. CN is ideally positioned to combine with KCS to connect the continent and realize the full benefits of the new North American trade agreement for customers, communities and the local and national economies it serves and supports.
By competing head-to-head at a lower cost, with safer service and better fuel efficiency on key routes from Mexico through the heartland of America, the result would be a safer, faster, cleaner and stronger railroad than any other proposed combination for KCS.
The CN-KCS Advantage
The combined company will offer greater choice and efficiencies for customers, more sustainable performance, more opportunities for employees, more robust investment in local communities and safety improvements through technological infrastructure and investment, and superior value for shareholders. For a faster, safer, cleaner and stronger railway – CN is the best partner for KCS.
- Uncompromising commitment to safety, marked by strong safety culture and ongoing investments in advanced technology
- Densest track fault detector network in the U.S.
- Automated track inspection railcars for real-time monitoring of track parameters
- Automated inspection portals for 360-degree detection of defects invisible to the human eye.
- More end-to-end single-owner, single operator services from Mexico to Detroit than any other Class 1 railroad
- New competitive option to reduce travel time between Laredo to Detroit by up to 2 days with CN’s Chicago Bypass
- New direct, efficient rail option for truck freight from Mexico to the Northeast U.S. and Canada.
- Record of superior service at the borders and proven success with intermodal means reduced friction for customers across geographies and transportation modes
- CN is the most fuel-efficient railway in North America
- Listed on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for 9 straight years and the DJSI North American Index for 12 years
- Combination will create new competitive routes accelerating shift from truck to rail, driving down greenhouse gas emissions, fuel consumption and congestion
- Seamless integration as a result of a proven track record of acquisitions over the past 25 years
- Increased connectivity between the U.S., Canada and Mexico would result in increased economic growth, trade and jobs for all three countries, reinforcing the benefits of the renegotiated North American trade agreement
- Combined CN-KCS focused on delivering long-term sustainable growth for our customers, people and communities
- By driving more growth, CN-KCS would generate more new jobs in more communities.